Thursday, August 5

Fish Tacos

Sunday afternoon Steve & I went for a long bike ride along the river over to Minnehaha falls and back.  It was a little sticky, but a great workout with all the hills!  It was Steve's first time by the falls so we walked around and enjoyed a fountain drink at the Sea Salt Eatery before heading home.  Even though it was far from dinner time, both Steve & I were drooling over the seafood dishes that walked past us.  I can't wait to go back and try it out!

When we got home, Steve couldn't shake his seafood craving so we attempted to make fish tacos for dinner.  I've never eaten or made these before so I was a little skeptical... that was until I took my first bite.  It was divine!  This will likely become a regular occurring meal in the Darr house.  We combined a few different recipes, so here's our take on fish tacos-

4 oz. fillets of tilapia (any flaky white fish could do)
Corn tortillas
Marinade
1 fresh squeezed lime
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon adobo (garlic powder could be a good substitute)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 teaspoon salt & pepper each
Mix all these ingredients together and marinate fish for 20 minutes. Preheat the grill to medium-high heat.
Make sure to oil the grates well before putting the fish on.  Should take roughly 4 minutes per side - brush some of the remaining marinade on the fish.  While the fish is cooking, grill the corn tortillas so they are warm and slightly toasted.

Toppings 
1 pkg of coleslaw mix - only need about 1 cup for this recipe
2 scallions/green onions thinly sliced
1/2 cup fresh cilantro
1 avocado sliced into strips
Chipotle Tabasco - optionaly  (we LOVE this stuff and add it to any mexican dish)
Lime-cilantro crema ** honestly the best part of the dish aside from the fish
    1/4 c scallions
    1/4 c chopped cilantro
    3 tblsp mayonaise
    3 tblss sour cream
    2 tsp lime zest
    1/2 fresh squeezed lime
    1 tsp salt
    1 garlic clove minced
    Mix together until incorporated

No comments: