Tuesday, September 14

Finish Line

Despite the fact that I ran track in high school and have been known on occasion to go for a jog, I don't still consider myself a runner.  Several years ago I did a handful of 5k races, but if I'm brutally honest it was more for the perks (t-shirts, snacks, etc) than the actual running. 

A few months ago my co-worker convinced me to join a few of my Wells Fargo colleagues in the Marathons of Hope 10k race.  It was hard to say no to such a great cause (Park Nicollet Frauenshuh Cancer Center), but I knew I couldn't do it without some companionship and accountability.  So I roped Katie to run it too... who I dare say could have done the race without any training... so in essence she was my trainer.  We did a couple 5-6 miles runs in preparation, one of which we found ourselves caught in the middle of a thunderstorm and no where to take cover.  It was funny in hindsight.  :) 

Race day was last Saturday.  It was a bit chilly at first, but turned out to be perfect running weather.  The course was two laps around Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis.  Steve refused to run with us, but was an amazing cheerleader.  He followed us on his bike ensuring we were hydrated and snapped a few photos.  I am proud to say I survived and was actually pleasantly surprised with our time! 

3 miles in, still smiling...

5 miles in, Katie still smiling, me not so much...

6 miles in, no explanation necessary... :)

Team Wells Fargo

I never thought I'd be saying this, but I'm already thinking about training for another one...

2 comments:

Ana Heeren said...

Good for you Sarah! I can't imagine EVER running that far. I am such a wuss! I can't even run around the block without stopping to walk :) I would LOVE to LOVE to run...I'M IMPRESSED!

Hardie Family said...

Fun pictures Sarah! Way to go on running a marathon (Yes, I consider anything over 1 mile a marathon).