When Steve and I started dating, I had just graduated early and started earning some money. Steve was still in school with virtually no income. We jokingly referred to me as Steve's 'sugar mama.' Because of that situation, most of the date planning was up to Steve and paying was up to me! I knew he'd repay me someday... :)
With Valentine's Day coming up, both Steve and I had been plotting a surprise (with our respective resources). I was living at my parents house at the time and Steve had coordinated with my dad to leave my car door open so we could put roses, candy and a card for me to find in the morning before work. Unfortunately the roses were dead when I found them because of the cold. It was the thought that counted though and make for a funny joke after the fact.... "Ummm, thanks for the dead flowers Steve."
Steve's card said to dress warm for an evening of fun. I wish I could remember exactly how he worded it. We went out to dinner at Macaroni Grill and then Steve took me to our next destination. After a while I figured we were heading to Stillwater... until we passed it. Eventually Steve pulled off the road into a look-out point. We walked through the woods in the pitch black cold, down a 'trail' that seemed to be going no where. I thought to myself, "this better be good." Eventually we stopped at the bottom of the bluffs, next to the river with the sky filled with stars. He opened up his huge black bag and pulled out a couple blankets and firewood for a campfire. It was so romatic and I couldn't believe Steve had done this for me after one month of dating!
Even though my gift paled in comparison to this date, I pulled out my little box of conversation hearts for Steve. I told him to dump out the box and arrange the letters to reveal his gift. It was a little difficult with the campfire light and the fact that I had one heart per letter, so I may have helped him out a bit.
Steve loved country music and Kenny Chesney was THE big name at the time. So I suprised Steve with tickets to his concert a month later. It was an extra bonus that Keith Urban and Dierks Bentley were the opening acts. Steve was so excited and I was so happy to be his 'sugar momma.' 'Til this day, conversation hearts remind me of the best Valentine's Day I've ever had.







3 comments:
What a sweet story! I have never heard that!
I LOVE IT!!!!! What a great memory :)
Love it! How sweet!
Post a Comment